Unrelated Thoughts

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Formula 1 in Indianapolis

Two weeks ago Ferrari won its first race this year… among only 6 cars! I cannot say I’m sad about this, but I’m not thrilled either. At least I’m happy I didn’t keep awake until 3am (Japan) to watch this strange race.

There are only two tire manufacturers working nowadays on the F1 world: Bridgestone and Michelin. Bridgestone works with Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi, and Michelin with the other seven teams. During the practices before the race Ralf Schumacher -Michael’s brother- crashed his Toyota and luckily escaped having a serious injury. Analyzing the accident, Michelin told its teams that the tires they supplied were not suited to run on Indianapolis, so the seven teams withdrew the race after just one lap.

Of course people felt swindled and now are asking (as usually happens in USA) for a monetary compensation (do I see you coming, Erin Brockovich?), and some are even asking for Formula 1 to withdraw from USA tracks!

Last year everybody was blaming Michael Schumacher for making Formula 1 a boring sport to watch. Will anyone blame now with the same anger at the Michelin teams?

I just hope that the day I go to Suzuka (because I cannot be in Japan and not go to Suzuka for a F1 race!), I don't get to see just 4 cars running...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home