Unrelated Thoughts

Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Four S’s

Last week I had the unique chance to attend an important International Conference held in Osaka and, while there, I was invited to the Gala Dinner… to take pictures of the event! The dinner was very nice and full of gaijin scientists, and when the President of the Organizing Committee decided to address some words to everybody, nobody cared and almost everyone kept talking. I must admit I felt a little bit embarrassed myself, for I felt it was a little bit rude. I mean, there was this respectable old guy thanking everybody for having came to the Congress from all over the world and blah blah blah, and he wasn’t receiving the attention he ought.

A Japanese Professor who was just sitting next to me, a little bit drunk, told me that he too felt bad for this lack of respect. "You know", he said to me, "we Japanese always respect the Rule of the Four S’s when we’re on a meeting". "The Four S’s?" I asked, "what do they stand for?" "The first S is for Silence", he explained, "for we never make any noise with cell phones, chairs, pens or anything. The second is for Shut Up, for we don’t say a word while someone else is speaking. The third one stands for Sit down, for we just sit and listen to the orator". "And the last one?" I asked after ten seconds of silence. "The last one?" he replied, "the last S stands for Sleep..."

I couldn’t agree more.

2 Comments:

  • Really funny

    AL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 AM  

  • hahhahahahhahah
    I can see they practice the 4S every where.....hahahhaaa

    By Blogger Eddie, at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home