Unrelated Thoughts

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A Long and Relaxing Weekend…

I still remember life in Peru. I used to work for a huge international corporation, and I had a cell phone available for entry calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And I actually did receive many calls between 12pm and 6am, as well as many others on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. I used to believe it was ok, for I felt important. This company cannot survive without me, I used to think. How wrong I was! I’ve been in Japan for 16 months, and that company is still working… without missing me!

Time flies, and now I’ve arrived to the conclusion that there’s nothing more important for me than my own personal space. I mean, a time and space completely different from the time and space I spent at work or at the University, a time for me and my family, a time to do whatever I may need or want to do. So, for now on, I’m trying to keep University and home apart. I can stay at the University for as long as I need to everyday, and I may come on a weekend if there’s something really important to do (like a meeting, an exam or so), but usually weekends are mine. And that feels good.

Saturday I had a meting at the University (a “semi”, as they’re called), but after that I was back at home connected to AOL watching Live 8 (repetitions still available at AOL Music website!), and Sunday I was following Formula 1’s Magny Cours race and later continue reading a giveaway Ian Rankin book… Nice weekend!

Sometimes I regret not being back in Peru, having drinks on nice bars or dinners on expensive restaurants, none of which I can do here (for they are SO expensive), but then I realize that here I’m much more relaxed, without that 24-7 cell phone. And you know what? THIS is life…

I hope that all my friends whom are still working at that company one day will find out this by themselves… for their own mental sake!

1 Comments:

  • Share the same views. The difference between you and me Giancarlo is that you can actually turn them into reality but I don't!!! I had a 24/7 cell at home too, and sometimes I thought I was importan when they were calling me at 11:53pm for some urgent (usually a disaster) matter... Well, truth is that I need to take over my weekends too, and hopefully in 2 weeks from now I'll be given the opportunity. Yet the weekends won't belong to me, but for my family. At least is something! Kampate!

    By Blogger The Furui Man, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home